Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Empty Crib Syndrome... (Day 5)


I was 19 weeks when we found out that I was having a boy. I went right to Babies R Us to purchase his first boy things. It was also at this time, that I decided to think about the theme for his room. I had picked out a bedroom set before I knew he way a boy. I picked it out when I had just found out I was pregnant and was in Babies R Us shopping for Olivia's baby shower. It was a green and brown bunny theme. Very simple and classic looking. It sounds a lot less gender neutral than it actually was, but there was something about it, that made it not the right one for Lucas. I then found this precious set by Carters that was yellow and green themed with bees, grasshoppers, turtles and frogs! That was the one. That became his bedroom set. It was official, bugs!


Once I got the bedding, I then started gathering the other coordinating pieces for the room. The bumble bee covered, super soft changing pad cover. The valance that ended up completing the room. Extra crib sheets that coordinated with everything. The wall decals (which sadly are still in there packaging). With all of this purchased, the room was complete, and just waiting for Lucas.


When he came home he started off in the bassinet Joe's grandfather had made when Joe was born. He quickly outgrew that, and moved into his crib. It was so exciting. A tiny little baby in his big boy crib! It was amazing. I loved watching him sleep. He always lays with his arms by his head like a little man. And then things changed...


Starting Christmas night, after a wonderful day of time spent with family, Lucas stopped sleeping in his bed, and would only sleep in his bouncy seat. I tried, don't get me wrong. I would lay him down to sleep and he would flail his arms and wiggle so much that he would wake himself up. He would be inconsolable, and only wanted his bouncy seat. So, we put him in the bouncy seat, strapped him in and placed the bouncy seat in his crib. That is where he has slept since Christmas...


This lovely bed, lovingly prepared for him, and he wants the $20 bouncy seat with farm animals on it. The doctor says this is ok. She says that at about 4 months babies lose the falling reflex and can be put down for bed much easier. She said to try throughout the day and see if he can lay nicely, but I have had NO luck. He is only happy to sleep in his bouncy seat.


He starts daycare next month, and will have to lay in his crib. We will get through this, but I think we are going to be the tired pair! In the meantime, his sheets are clean and missing the warmth of the sweet, snuggly, little boy they were meant to hold. I hope that soon, my little Lucas will know that we won't drop him, that he is not falling, and that he is simply just going to bed for a few hours. Until then, we will continue to try.


Love,


Lisa and Lucas


No comments:

Post a Comment